Auto-plant design and worker orgranizing

Les Schaffer godzilla at netmeg.net
Tue May 5 14:15:03 PDT 1998

>> My

>> main point is that the whole locus of plantworkers' lives, work

>> and home, is scattered compared to before - From the city to

>> the suburbs,from the North to the South, and from the

>> U.S. overseas. This , I hypothesize, undermines

>> collectivity.

okay. but your specific examples a.) workers cars now parked inside gates and b.) locating large plants in rural areas, made it clearer to me what you're getting at.

>> I have no specific evidence now on keeping workers from computer/CAD

>> systems. In fact there is a lot of emphasis on computer

>> training in joint labor/management projects (yuk).

do you know what the main function of this training is? is it the passing of manufacturing specifications and instructions from engineering and management down to the workers or somehting else?

>> Training and

>> jobs are two different things, but I think there is rank and

>> file usage of computers.

>> I will look for more evidence on this if you want.

yeah. i'm interested. i will write some more after work this evening or tmw re/ computers, the web, and the workplace.

-- ____ Les Schaffer godzilla at netmeg.net ___| ------->> Engineering R&D <<-------- Theoretical & Applied Mechanics | Designspring, Inc. Westport, CT USA Center for Radiophysics & Space Research | http://www.designspring.com Cornell Univ. schaffer at tam.cornell.edu | les at designspring.com