"Strategic" Plants (was Replies: "Better times" cannot...)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue May 5 16:33:43 PDT 1998

Charles Brown wrote:
>Also, of course, just within the last year and
>a half, the North American autoworkers had
>several strikes in "strategic" plants that closed a group of
>territorially dispersed plants. The working class is
>catching up with the reorganization. This is the main
>thing, catching the working class consciousness up
>with the shift, which is initially disuniting.
>Proletarian internationalism is more
>urgent than ever.

It is, but the lesson from those strikes Charles mentions above seems to be that strikes at strategically important plants have _yet_ to be used 'strategically' by workers. I agree that the 'just-in-time' system creates its own weaknesses, but it doesn't look as though the American working class are catching up with this fact and using it to their advantage, does it? At least not yet. It's something that the left has to work on.

Yoshie