rural idiocy

William S. Lear rael at dejanews.com
Wed May 6 09:38:25 PDT 1998

On Wed, May 6, 1998 at 11:50:20 (-0400) Doug Henwood writes:
> .... I'm
>talking about the (mostly white) upper middle class that wants to seal
>itself off from people not like them, fearful of the dark-skinned, the
>noisy, and random social encounters that might force them to confront
>people not like themselves. The SUV is the vehicular counterpart of the
>geographical insulation that suburbia offers.

Doug, aren't you attributing a bit more (I guess) "agency" to these apparently "smug fathead suburbanites"? In addition, aren't you therefore implicitly crediting the capitalist system with giving them the very options that they must have in order for you to claim that they are (freely) choosing these things?

It's not that the fatheads don't annoy me too. It's just that I have friends who are fatheads; I myself am probably a good candidate for fatheadhood, and I find myself wishing dearly that I might encounter "the dark-skinned" in something other than a social role of menial service.

Bill