rural idiocy

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Wed May 6 10:16:33 PDT 1998

It should be kept in mind (if somebody hasn't already pointed it out) that the model of "rich in the suburbs, poor in the central cities" is largely a US/Canada/Australia/New Zealand model. In most of Europe, Asia, Africa, and Latin America it is the other way around, with the poor in "working class suburbs" or shantytowns, with the rich in long-established downtown neighborhoods (or way out in the much farther out countryside). Thus Paris was until recently run by Gaullist mayors for a long time (Jacques Chirac's longtime position prior to becoming President) while to the north, east, and south are the "Red Belt" suburbs (banlieues) where the Communist Party rules and one finds streets named for Marx, Lenin, Robespierre, Yuri Gagarin, Stalingrad, etc.

I think this difference in patterns depends 1) greater dominance of the automobile in the US, etc., 2) greater space in the US, etc., and 3) the shorter history of European dominance in the US, etc. Barkley Rosser On Wed, 06 May 1998 11:05:01 -0400 Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu