rural idiocy

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu May 7 08:55:52 PDT 1998

At 09:34 AM 5/7/98 -0500, Yoshie wrote:
>Michael Hoover wrote:
>>Areas of Residence 1950-1990
>>Source: U.S. Dept of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, _Statistical
>>Abstracts of the United States_
>>
>>1950:
>>Central Cities (City): 33%
>>Suburbs: 23%
>>Outside Metropolitan Statistical Area (Rural): 44%
>>
>>1970:
>>City: 31%
>>Suburbs: 37%
>>Rural: 31%
>>
>>1990:
>>City: 31%
>>Suburbs: 46%
>>Rural: 23%
>
>Stats provided by Michael says that the most significant change is not
>out-migration from cities to suburbs but depopulation of rural areas and/or
>what used to be rural areas developping into suburbs.

I thought about that too, but not necessarily. The pricing of suburban and urban residences suggests a different pattern: rural migrants moving to the cities where housing costs are lower than in the suburbs. Manhattan, Boston or San Francisco might be excpetions, but that ceratinly holds for other cities.

Regards,

WS