class consciousness

Jim heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Fri May 8 00:50:26 PDT 1998

In message <s551bcc8.065 at ci.detroit.mi.us>, Charles Brown <charlesb at CNCL .ci.detroit.mi.us> writes
>Chas. - I think it is good to warn against unconscious or
>creeping anti-proletarian prejudice in middle class radicals.
>However, it is not a few radicals but masses of working
>class Black people who have prenounced there to be an
>unacceptable level of racism in the working class white
>suburbanites. First of all there was the white flight in which
>millions openly exposed their hideous prejudice against us.
>Then there was cross district bussing which became a
>cause celebre led often by working class individuals. These
>days Black autoworkers are fighting KKK expressions in
>plants. One union local in a Western suburb had someone
>who openly used KKK propaganda elected president about
>3-4 years ago. The racism among white workers is not
>universal but it is critically disarming of the class in its
>fight with the bourgeoisie

I entirely agree with that. One of the interesting things about Kofi Buenor Hadjor's book is that he takes the opposite conclusion from Theodore Allen (Wages of Whiteness) and Hacker (Two Nations). They see racism in terms of a 'white skin privilege', which is of course readily demonstrable, in terms of distribution of resources between the races. However, Hadjor says that racism has been a disaster for the white working class. Even though their wages have been high relative to blacks, their ideological subordination to the ruling order means that they are incapable of defending their own living standards.

I agree. 100 per cent. In message <2.2.16.19980507083819.10ef0018 at pop.igc.org>, Michael Eisenscher <meisenscher at igc.apc.org> writes
>Pardon me, but this sounds too much like "blame the victim." A significant
>factor in the dockers' ultimate defeat was the unwillingness of their
>national union's leadership to back them up.
On that score I agree. The TGWU leadership left them high and dry. But you have to understand that even if they had supported them, the T&G has not been able to organise any significant secondary action for years. Unions in Britain are an empty shell of their former selves. Their principle activities are individual representation, selling cheap insurance and so on. The level of grassroots union organisation is much lower than it has been since before the war.
> Despite that fact from the
>reports I have seen, they garnered considerable sympathy and support among
>rank and file union members.
Some sympathy, yes. In much the same way anyone who puts on a sad face gets sympathy. They got a big cheer at Anfield, and an evening of alternative comedy on Channel 4. Solidarity, no. That was pointedly lacking. No disrespect to the anarchists, but when they are the only ones on the Support the Dockers march, you know that this is a cause that has been relegated to the sidelines. (One of the more gruesome sights on the march was the Dockers dressed in 'traditional' 19C. dress, adding to the carnival atmosphere) It is pointed that you hear more about the Dockers strike on the internet than you ever did in Britain: that's because the dockers' strategy was to seek support further and further afield, as solidarity in Britain was so lacking.
> The issue is not whether British workers'
>class consciousness is not up to some level of revolutionary fervor or
>whatever standard you are using, but whether when confronted with immediate
>threats to their interests, they will fight back.
Oh yes, indeed, that is the question. And the answer is that the dockers were isolated while substantial numbers of their former comrades scabbed on them. Other docks carried on working. And, beaten, the dockers voted after two years to accept the deal that had been offered them in the first few months of the strike. No disrespect to those dockers who struck. Nobody here is gainsaying there tenacity and struggle. But union organisation in this country is at a very low ebb: it really has not recovered after the defeat of the miners' strike.
> Can it be that an entire
>nation's working class is mesmerized by the spirit of a dead princess? I'm
>headed right out to the video rental store to get a copy of Camelot.
On the Saturday of her funeral, I went out to avoid the TV coverage and sat in Whittington Park, on a sunny day on my own. The streets were empty. Archway was deserted. You're lucky if you only see it on a video. In real life it is much more hideous. -- Jim heartfield