rural idiocy

Russ R.I.P at art.derby.ac.uk
Fri May 8 07:08:22 PDT 1998

>In all the chatter about cars, not a word about the capitalist urban
>and suburban planning forms that have reduced them from luxury to
>necessity. What do we do with this landscape after the revolution?
>
> Patrick Bond

Yes this is the question. Lefebvre talks of space being produced, that in current social relations it is fetishised, that we need to radically re-articulate how we produce space in a post revolutionary society. Mostly, what we have here on the list is a desire to wean the workers from their cars and put them on buses. What a failure of the revolutionary imagination before the event.

Let work to us expand the horizon of human possibilities, not restrict them with Green miserablism! Without the utopian impulse which strives to overcome the limits bequeathed by capital we are left with a feeble acceptance of its alienating, polluting, restrictive legacy. Humanity, us! we desiring humans, deserve far more than that...

Russ