rural idiocy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 8 07:13:47 PDT 1998

Patrick Bond wrote:

>In all the chatter about cars, not a word about the capitalist urban
>and suburban planning forms that have reduced them from luxury to
>necessity. What do we do with this landscape after the revolution?

What revolution?

That's not just my instinctive pessimism at work; you can't have anything like revolution without consciousness and set of social institutions different from what we have now. And how can those develop with the kind of dispersion and fragmentation fostered by auto-centered suburbs? It's a perfect environment for producing strong demand for self-help and recovery books, but collective action? How?

Doug