rural idiocy

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri May 8 11:54:34 PDT 1998

Wojtek wrote:
>But of course former urban residents moving to burbs which explains the
>relatively stable share of the urban population. That is certainly true in
>Baltimore that faced an inlfux of the rural poor (Black) and the
>simultaneous white flight to the burbs. I thought it was self-explanatory.
>
>>I think that a large scale migration from rural areas to cities took place
>>earlier, from the end of the Civil War to the periods before that of the
>>above stats.
>
>So what happens to those garment workers in North Carolina and kindred
>souls after their factories are closed and moved south of the border? Do
>you really think they move to D.C. burbs?

Isn't one of the points made in the threads on cars + suburbanization that 'suburbs' are not homogeneous but differentiated by race, class, and strata? There are suburbs and there are suburbs.

In any case, expansions of suburbs can't happen without encroachment upon the formerly rural areas, can they?

Yoshie