social science production (was: Dark Sides of 'Solidarity'?)

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Fri May 8 16:16:47 PDT 1998

> My hypothesis (which, alas, may not be empirically falsifiable) is that
> disciplines closer to the heart of the ruling class tend to produce a
> higher proportion of ideology than other disciplines do.

George Thompson (the British classical scholar and Caldwell / Stalin / Mao marxist) made an interesting observation in one of his books, which while not quite a theory is worth some thought. He argued that the physical and biological sciences were only "allowed" to develop when and if their results became crucial to capital. His particular instance was Darwinian biology, which (my memory is vague on the exact argument) he said became respectable only when capital came to need the practical results of the biological sciences, results which were inseparable from Darwinism.

Carrol