The Old in the New (was cultural politics/"real" politics)

hoov hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Fri May 8 19:07:11 PDT 1998

> though the incorporation of women in the labor market is often said to
> be 'new,' at the begenning of industrialization, both in light industries
> such as textile and heavy industries such as mining, female workers were
> not only indispensable but often preferred to male workers.
> Yoshie

Heleieth Saffioti, in _Women in Class Society_, notes that women comprised 30% of the total workforce in French industry in the 1860s...Stephanie Coontz, in _The Way We Never Were_, states that women comprised only 16% of the US labor force in the 1870s...she points out, however, that nineteenth century decline in women's labor force participation was both a new and a temporary phenomenon...Coontz also indicates that women engaged in paid work - such as taking in boarders, selling items made at home, and working in family businesses - that went unreported...Michael Hoover