rural idiocy

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Sat May 9 09:57:27 PDT 1998

Right. In Johannesburg, 40% of the land within ten kilometers radius of the centre of our fine city is vacant (according to a 1991 World Bank study); moreover the Central Business District has gone from 5% vacancy rates to more than 50% in some blocks, and Africa's tallest building, the Carlton Centre (owned and operated by Anglo American Corporation) has just closed its 5-star hotel and is likely to close the 50-floor tower itself within a few months.

An explanation is the overbuilding of commercial property space during the late 1980s plus land speculation and redlining -- in short uneven urban capitalist development -- with a good dash of racism and crime-hysteria by the white professional elite who, aided by new communications technologies, have vacated to favoured walled-up edge-cities.