Gould, Mismeasure of Man (was Re: social science prod

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Sun May 10 18:51:15 PDT 1998

> By the way, does anyone have on hand a copy of Gould's Mismeasure of
> Man? There is a perfect quote in there from a biologist at the turn of
> the century about how low IQ causes someone to become a Bolshevik.
>
> -Juliana

I haven't yet found the quotation on bolsheviks, but here is one that I couldn't resist submitting, since it involves a trustee of Columbia U.:

Henry Fairfield Osborn, trustee of Columbia University and president of the American Museum of Natural History, wrote in 1923, in a statement that I cannot read without a shudder when I recall the gruesome statistics of mortality for World War I:

I believe those tests were worth whjat the war cost, even in human

life, if they served to show clearly to our people the lack of

intelligence in our country, and the degrees of intelligence in

different races of people who are coming to us, in a way which no

one can say is the result of prejudice....We have learned once and

for all that the negro is not like us. So in regard to many races

and subraces in Europe we learned that some which we had believed

possessed of an order of intelligence perhaps superior to ours [read

Jew {Gould}] were far inferior.

Gould, Mismeasure of Man, p. 231

Carrol Cox