Were the Nazis radical environmentalists?

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Mon May 11 07:07:03 PDT 1998

My memory stretches back further (to about 1939-42 onward) than that of most posters to this list, and I have vividly in my memory a standard by which to judge the following fragment of Dan Lazare's post. I can remember when in the '40s and '50s and even into the early '60s a certain kind of liberal thought that by *his* (usually his, sometimesd her) personal anti-racism (or rather, since the term "anti-racism" was meaningless then, by his personal freedom from such a vulgarity) he could use such terms as "n-word" and "spade" freely. Had the vocabulary been invented then, each and every one of them would have defended his usage by acusing any critics of "political correctness" (and of course, by accusing them of the red-baiting tactic that never goes out of style, lack of a sense of humor).

Unless he cares to apologize for "man and nature," Dan Lazare is on my permanent delete-without-reading list, the list I use for incorrigible liberals who like the thrill it gives them to call themselves marxists.

Carrol Cox