German environmentalism

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon May 11 14:07:40 PDT 1998

At 04:58 PM 5/11/98 -0400, you wrote:
>An interesting article of relevance: Janet Biehl, "'Ecology' and the
>Modernization of Fascism in the German Ultra-right," _Society and Nature_,
>Vol. 2., No. 2, pp. 130-70.

It's available at http://www.spunk.org/texts/places/germany/sp001630/janet.html with some other articles. Again, it is sort of thing that Bramwell does, which is to create an amalgam between "blood and soil" ideology and ecology as such. Thus, the anti-Semitism of German ecological scientists of the 19th century is not coincidental but part and parcel of the same general tendency toward "ecofascism." Nazi use of organic farming techniques in 1934 has as much weight as rearmament and preparation for war. Rudolf Hess is devoted to homopathic medicine and is even a stricter vegetarian than Adolph Hitler. She takes potshots at Rudolf Bahro, who believes that a "volkisch" approach to politics is needed. It doesn't matter that Bahro was passionately opposed to fascism. His hostility toward the "enlightenment," no different than Vandana Shiva's, is enough to throw him into the ecofascist sphere. She says Nazi "ecological" ideology was used to justify the destruction of European Jewry. This is a new one on me. I always thought it was Wagnerian operas and Nietzsche that set the German people off the deep end.

Louis Proyect