business schools

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Mon May 11 14:29:46 PDT 1998

Well, I'm in danger of going over my posting quota, but I guess I can't let this claim go by. It simply is not true that the Old Institutionalists were removed from the UT-Austin economics department, anymore than it is true that they were so removed from their fountainhead at the University of Wisconsin-Madison economics department. It is true that there are exactly zero today in either department, although there are some in other departments on the same campuses (LBJ School of Government at UT-Austin, Agricultural Economics at UW-Madison), but that is because they were replaced by non-Old Institutionalists as they retired or died out.

I know that there were still some active and in place in the UT-Austin department as late as the early 1980s and that their departure was by death or retirement. They did not go to the University of Kansas City, if there is such a place, or any other place of exile. BTW, most of those at UT-Austin were of the of the Clarence Ayres school of Old Institutionalism, not the Veblen or Commons schools. Barkley Rosser On Mon, 11 May 1998 13:45:55 -0700 (PDT) Richard Marens <parvus at u.washington.edu> wrote:

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu