Gould preface (was Re: Were the Nazis radical environmentalists?)

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Mon May 11 15:20:41 PDT 1998

I have the 1981 edition of _The Mismeasure of Man_. Here's the exact quotation: A Note on title: I hope that an apparently sexist title will be taken in the intended spirit--not only as a play on Protagoras' famous aphorism, but also as a commentary on the procedure of the biological determinists discussed in the book. They did, indeed, study "man" (that is white European males), regarding this group as a standard nd everybody else to be measured unfavorably against it. That they mismeasured "man" underscores the double fallacy. (p. 16)

Yours, Frances Bolton