There Are Greens, and There Are Greens (was Were the Nazis radical environmentalists?)

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Mon May 11 19:01:18 PDT 1998

Yoshie, In your recent post you mentioned David Harvey. You pointed to his involvement in the environmental justice movement as evidence that he is a "green," rather than "brown" marxist.

I'm not sure that the evironmental justice movemtn qualifies as "green." It is social and economic justice oriented, feminist, headed by people of color for the most part. All good things, and I respect the battles that have been fought under the rubric of environmental justice.

I think if a group is to carry the label "green" they have to have a stronger ecological element. Env. justice folks really don't have that ecological commitment. I believe they have, in fact, criticized the wilderness/greenie people for being insufficiently interested in urban/peopled environments. They have also analyzed the elitist, classist roots of the wilderness preservation people.

So, I'd say, maybe Harvey is green, but I don't think this involvement with/ commitment to the environmental justice movement provides the grounds for making that claim.

Yours, Frances Bolton