social science production (was: Dark Sides of 'Solidarity'?)

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue May 12 14:05:38 PDT 1998

Sorry, Doug, but got to help this poor sucker out, :-).

First off, I go by Barkley, not John which my idiot university computer insists on sticking on my address.

Anyway, one easily accessible recent cite would be Robert J. Gordon, "The Time-Varying NAIRU and its Implications for Economic Policy," _Journal of Economic Perspectives_, Winter 1997, vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 11-32.

The older literature on this that emphasizes labor market dynamics goes back to discussions of labor market hysteresis, if not earlier. Ironically probably the earliest reference of all on this argument is due to one of the inventors of the "natural rate of unemployment" hypothesis, Edmund S. Phelps, in his 1972 _Inflation Policy and Unemployment Theory_, New York: Norton. Much of this literature is discussed in Rod Cross, ed., _Unemployment, Hysteresis and the Natural Rate Hypothesis_, 1988, Oxford: Basil Blackwell.

As a final point I would note that although they are almost universally identified with each other in mainstream macroeconomics literature; even if they exist, there is no reason that NAIRU necessarily equals the natural rate of unemployment. The latter is what the economy would experience "naturally" if left to its own devices (no cyclical unemployment). But there is no necessary reason why that should be the same as an unemployment rate at which the rate of inflation might begin to accelerate.

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu