"Civil Society"

Mark Jones Jones_M at netcomuk.co.uk
Wed May 13 07:43:21 PDT 1998

Brian, about 20 people erected barricades around a Dublin post office in 1916 and won a state. But no; if I was suggesting that I'd have said. But I do believe in judging a party by it's programme, and the DEBATE programme is all about reforms, now you mention it. Nothing wrong with that, except that you and Patrick have shifted the terrain of debate: to begin with we were discussing whether or not Harvey is right to ignore or minimise the scale of environmental crisis, because that crisis is perhaps a fundamental one for capital. Maybe the 'green modernisers' and Harvey are both right, and everything will get sorted out, there'll be no climate change, no disasters, and life will stagger on. But to know the answer we need to really analyse the question. What you and Pat are doing is drag the question onto the related but distinct terrain of struggles for environmental and social justice here and now, and then in the process to say, see how difficult it is to talk revolution, people are not interested, they need a raise and a standpipe etc. Which may all be true but is not the point of our critique of Harvey. You may in time build a mass movement by the methods you are deploying and it may very well be revolutionary, but none of that has any bearing on the issue of whether or not eco-crisis and related issues of resource-depletion represent the kind of unsurmountable impasse which we think they do represent for world capitalism.

Just because the question does not connect with the immediate issues you face in the townships does not make it a wrong question. Trying honestly to answer it, and then letting the answers form part of the discourse and practice of your own political work, is surely legitimate is it not? Our main complaint about Harvey is not that he is wrong, which he probably is, to minimise the issue, but that he simply ignores it even while seeming to address it.

Mark