Immaculate Conception or Civil Society ?

Wed May 13 07:40:48 PDT 1998

> Whatever one thinks of Black religiosity in the US, it is the Black
> churches that provided the organizational resources and infrastructure for
> the civil rights movement. Without that organizational structure, provided
> by entities that are by my standards reactionary, we would still have legal
> apartheid in the US.

Never been comfortable with idiomatic expressions. But in terms of the relation of the Black Church to the civil rights movement, you got the tail wagging the dog, as shown incisively by Adolph Reed, Jr. in The Jesse Jackson Phenomenon. Yale University Press, 1986. Best, Rakesh