What did the Anti-War Movement Lead To? Gramsci and Civil Society

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Wed May 13 12:39:57 PDT 1998

Stephen Peter LaBash writes:

The
> strongest support for the Gulf War was among 20-35 year-olds, people who
> grew up under nothing but Reagan and Bush.

I think I will make a pest out of myself on this point. "[N]othing but Reagan and Bush" (unintentionally, I'm sure) repeats the lie that the Republican Party is the party of reaction as opposed to the progressive Democrats. But the most accurate discription of the "Reagan-Bush" years is "the Carter Years," for Carter launched almost all the programs which came to define the "Reagan years": intensification of the cold war, increased rapidity of military build-up, deregulation, "personal responsibility," attack on welfare... the list could go on and on. Calling these the "Reagan" years repeats the error of calling the red-hunts and cold-war policies of the 1940s and 50s the "McCarthy" rather than the "Truman" era.

Phil Ochs, in fact, had it exactly right in his "Talking Cuban Crisis."

First the real decision makers, the capitalist class:

"But first this word from Pepsodent..."

Then the liberal president who initiates the action, making it respectable for "progressives" to accept:

"And then President John began to speak And I knew right away he wouldn't be weak"

Then the Republicans deepen the hole that the Democrat has dug:

"But the Republicans were 'a goin' and saying... ...... Well they said our plan was just too mild Spare the rod and spoil the child"

Thus has it always been for over a century.

Carrol