GI killers?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed May 13 12:44:49 PDT 1998

Wojtek:
>I disagree. The correct approach is to sway them to join your side, when
>the command structures of the army are sufficiently weakened. That is what
>made the Russian Revolution successful. That follows from your first
>propostion that soldiers are professional killers. You can't neutralize
>these profesionals by simply putting flowers in thier guns, you need them
>_and_ their guns on your side.

You are impossibly confused. Were you living in the United States at the time? Getting the guns of the American draftees on our side is nothing but a Spartacist League nocturnal emission.

>As to your earlier comments on anti-war movement, I am not denying that
>there were some truly dedicated anti-war activists back then. What I am
>suggesting is that the majority of the followers were most likely
>self-serving, middle class draft dodgers unhappy about the idea of giving
>up their privileged life style. Or perhaps folks who just wanted to
>blend-in, have some sex, smoke some weed err.. grass, and have a good time.

Oh, this is true. Most people who marched against the war were not in favor of a Vietnamese victory, as the organizers were. These people simply did not have killing in their hearts. I started out like this, and eventually did have killing in my heart. The target had changed, however.

>By the same token I also do not think that most latter-days 'conservatives'
>are true right-wingers -- they are GOP-groupies or Jesus-groupies because
>Gingrich and Jesus are pronounced cool by the media.

Actually, most people in bourgeois society are like sheep. They respond to commands, whether from the television set or the preacher. This was true of Czarist Russia as well, when people initially followed Father Gapon. The job of revolutionaries is to facilitate successive rises of consciousness so as to achieve a proletarian revolution. After the revolution, everybody will be able to have some sex, smoke some weed and have a good time. Until then, no fooling around allowed.

Louis Proyect