What did the Anti-War Movement Lead To? Gramsci and Civil Society

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed May 13 13:16:41 PDT 1998

Wojtek:
>By the end of 1960 those conditions disappeared thanks to the deliberate
>polcies of our so-called elected representatives and their corporate
>sposnors. Thus:
>
>- urban centers became urban wasteland, rusts belts, as industry moved
>overseas and workers to the suburbs;
>- community cohesion disappeared as communities themselves disappeared,
>replaced by suburban bedroom warehouses
>- people had something to loose from loosing their jobs - the suburabn
>homes they owned.
>
>So how the hell would you expect a mass mobilisation under such conditions?

But I don't. I just told Mark Jones privately--I believe--that we are in the doldrums. All the things you say are true. There is no magic wording that you can put on a leaflet that will shake the masses out of their stupor. Your best bet is always to go where the action is: Actup, Greenpeace, CISPES, some carefully selected unions, etc. And once you are there, keep the Marxist jargon to yourself.

Louis Proyect