BJP's Bomb

Altaf Bhimji altaf at wco.com
Wed May 13 15:06:03 PDT 1998

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> That seems to make sense, because how would they poll the countless urban
> and rural poor. I would guess that members of these classes have other
> priorities than bomb-inspired national identity politics.

generally that is what these polls do, count the "middle classs" thought that class is of a sizeable number in India (numerically, not neccessarily in percentage) . It will be intreasting to see what Pakistan's response will be, my self being originally from there, my guess is that some of the fanatic religious groups are calling for the test, as may be the army. However, Nawaz Sharif (the PM) an industrialist, has tended to do things his own way. Others, the industrialists, and the more "professional class" are suggesting that there not be a nuclear test, and that Pakistan should instead exploit the situation to its own benefit, by asking for things like loan forgiveness, and economic assistance from the west in exchange for not testing its nuclear capabilities. Given that Pakistan, in all probablity, has the capablity, it would be prudent to go this course... although the pressure on the PM is pretty intense, it seems to go ahead with the test...

altaf