Homeownership (was What did the Anti-War Movement Lead To?)

Max B. Sawicky maxsaw at cpcug.org
Wed May 13 19:00:01 PDT 1998

> >My guess is that this
> >is the force behind an apparent age effect, since
> >such family heads tend to be younger than average.
>
> But there's also a steepening of the age-wage curve, no? Or is it
> just that
> a two-tier system prevails at the macro level, with younger cohorts at a
> lower starting level (relative to elders), and economists are being
> optimistic projecting steep increases for them?

These sound the same, roughly, meaning wages are a positive function of age, but in either case it wouldn't necessarily mean things were absolutely worse now for the young, relative to 20 yrs ago. Nor would projections have anything to do with whether today is worse than yesterday. Mainstream economists tend to project slow wage growth, relative to the past, which prediction tends to support scare stories about social security and fiscal policy in general. Dean has a new report on this which will be released in a couple of weeks.

We had a report seven years ago on housing affordability which calculated that it had gotten much worse, but I don't remember whether it controlled for gender or family structure. The author was Michael Stone of UMass/Boston.

MBS