Homeownership

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 14 06:43:28 PDT 1998

Yoshie asked how many U.S. households own their cribs outright, as opposed to still paying the mortgage. Unfortunately the Census reports don't have that info, but one interesting clue - the Fed estimates that home mortgages totaled 43.3% of the value of residential real estate in 1997, an all-time high (though it's been fairly flat over the last 4 years) - up from 37.7% in 1990, and around 30% in the early 1980s (and 13.7% in 1945). This reflects not only bigger loans and smaller downpayments, but the use of home equity loans to support consumer spending (and probably stock speculation, I mean investment, too). We won't know for sure how over-extended people are on mortgages until the next recession - and how many of them used home equity loans (and VISA advances) to play on Wall Street until the next bear market, if there ever is one. But the Clinton administration has pushed a 5% down payment policy to expand homeownership. And I saw a TV ad the other day for some company that specializes in no-down-payment mortgages. Leverage is such a beautiful thing on the upside.

Doug