Homeownership (was What did the Anti-War Movement Lead To?)

James Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu
Thu May 14 08:27:35 PDT 1998

on the issue of homeownership, we shouldn't forget middle-class welfare, i.e., the mortgage interest deduction on the US federal income tax (and most state income taxes). Renters don't get that, but their landlords do. Methinks that the 'lords only pass the benefits of the tax break to the tenants if there's a glut on the market.

talking lbo blues,

Jim Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu & http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html Los Angeles, the city of your future: the city of smog, earthquakes, modern slavery, fires, mudslides & sinkholes, civil disturbances (a.k.a. riots or rebellions), OJ, the Menendi, and Heidi Fleiss (daughter of our nephew's pediatrician).