Huntin' Shootin' Fishin' and Fornicatin',

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Thu May 14 09:01:51 PDT 1998

On Thu, 14 May 1998, James Devine wrote:

> "Lord Gnome" writes: >More to the point, my argument is that Greens are
> Authoritarian to the core..."

It might be helpful if people were to state precisely what they mean by "green" when they make such claims. My own tendency is to think of the greens as having a strong social justice and feminist component which is antithetical to authoritarianism. I come to Green politics through the New Mexico Green Party where there were (four years ago when I left) living wage campaigns and concerns about environmental justice.

Someone (whoops! forgot who, sorry) referred to Paul Erlich as a green. That seems to be a peculiar claim. He does not identify as a Green; he admits that he is a Republican. Now, he does have certain environmental concerns (too many non-white people are bad for the environment! Make them stop having babies!), but that certainly is not enough for him to qualify as green. There seems to be a strong(ish) antiGreen sentiment on the list. Why is that? Yours, Frances Bolton