Paul Ehrlich

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu May 14 13:46:46 PDT 1998

>Let me reiterate my earlier question:
>Precisely what is it that you mean by the "green movement?" If you are
>conflating environemtnalism and the greens, I'd like to know that.
>
>Yours,
>Frances Bolton

Ehrlich's article appears on the web page of the Defenders of Wildlife web-page, which defines its mission as:

"Defenders of Wildlife is dedicated to the protection of all native wild animals and plants in their natural communities. We focus our programs on what scientists consider two of the most serious environmental threats to the planet: the accelerating rate of extinction of species and the associated loss of biological diversity, and habitat alteration and destruction. Long known for our leadership on endangered species issues, Defenders of Wildlife also advocates new approaches to wildlife conservation that will help keep species from becoming endangered. Our programs encourage protection of entire ecosystems and interconnected habitats while protecting predators that serve as indicator species for ecosystem health."

You can't get much greener than that, can you?

You probably already know that many of the leaders of the Sierra Club, including Lester Brown, recently urged the organization to adopt an anti-immigration proposal. This is a right-wing proposal, but this does not mean that the Sierra Club is not part of the green movement.

Maybe we are dealing with a terminological problem here. For me the greens have a mainstream and a radical component. The mainstream greens argue that capitalism can solve the ecological crisis and also entertain all sorts of Malthusian ideas. The radical groups are anti-capitalist, but not necessarily in a Marxist sense, and also often echo certain reactionary ideas in line with the Gaia thesis. In general, the radical wing of the green movement suffers from a lack of engagement with Marxism. This should come as no surprise because Marxism tends to be disdainful of the Greens in general.

By analogy, let's examine the black liberation movement. It certainly includes Louis Farrakhan and Adolph Reed. It would be best if Reed's ideas had hegemony, but the weakness of Marxism within the black population accounts for this, doesn't it?

Louis Proyect