What did the Anti-War Movement Lead To?

hoov hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Thu May 14 15:13:35 PDT 1998

> Bertrand Russel who seems to have organized a tribunal against the US
> military for its destruction of Vietnam.
> Rakesh

International War Crimes Tribunal under auspices of Russell Peace Foundation...presided over by Sartre because BR's age and health prevented his attendance...comprised of 23 members from Britain, Cuba, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Pakistan, Philippines, Sweden, Turkey, US, Yugoslavia...US members were James Baldwin, Stokely Carmichael, David Dellinger, Carl Oglesby...Staughton Lynd rejected an invitation tob participate on grounds that alleged crimes by both sides should have been investigated (he did not doubt that US & South Vietnamese acts would be much greater)...

tribunal met for seven days in Stockholm in May 67 and heard testimony from NLF representatives, US war veterans, refugeed villagers, reporters such as Jonathan & Orville Schell, medical personel, and academics, including John Gerassi & Gabriel Kolko... members voted unanimously in the affirmative on the following statement:

"We find the government and armed forces of the United States are guilty of the deliberate systemtatic, and large-scale bombardment of civilian targets, including civilian populations, dwellings, villages, dams, dikes, medical establishments, leper colonies, schools, churches, pagodas."

the tribunal also concluded that the US was guilty of genocide, violations of Geneva Conventions accords on treatment of prisoners, and use of weapons - such as napalm - that were illegal under international law...

a book of the proceedings was later published: _Against the Crime of Silence_...Michael Hoover