Ehrlich

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu May 14 16:27:35 PDT 1998

>Does Anthony Giddens have a role in all this? I'm told Giddens has some
>influence around New Left Review these days.
>
>Doug

I'm not sure that Scott McLemee is on LBO, but he is positive that Giddens's "Beyond Left and Right" had a major influence on Furedi. By the way, LM bagged a celebrity. Fay Weldon, the novelist, seems to be in the group, or whatever the heck it is. She spoke at their "free speech" symposium, and is quoted on the back cover of the latest issue saying how much of a fan she is. More importantly, she has an article in the latest Harper's that promotes all the LM shibboleths about fox-hunting, psychotherapy, etc. That's quite a catch. When I was in the SWP, we made a big deal when we recruited Bobby Washington, a black subway worker from Harlem. Just goes to show you how times have changed.

Louis Proyect (http://www.panix.com/~lnp3/marxism.html)