Cabdrivers

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri May 15 07:55:12 PDT 1998

The New York Taxi Workers' Alliance (formerly Lease Drivers Coalition) is organizing a 24 HOUR STRIKE ON MAY 13TH OF ALL MEDALLION YELLOW CAB DRIVERS IN NEW YORK CITY.

WE ASK FOR YOUR URGENT ASSISTANCE!

This strike comes in protest to last week's proposal by the TAXI AND LIMOUSINE COMMISSION (the supposedly 'neutral' administrative body overseeing the industry) of 27 new policies and rule changes that will impose even harsher working conditions, greater harassment and violence by authorities such as the NYPD, and an even more biased court system for taxi and car service drivers. Rule changes include:

- alcohol and drug testing for new drivers and at license renewals - Fine increases up to $1000 (from previous $50-$350) for violations such as "abuse" and "harrassment" of passangers/public and "reckless driving". - Fine increases from $25 to $150 for "drivers who are discourteous to passengers or smoke while driving" - One year probationary period for new drivers (from previous 6 mos) - License suspension after six points and revocation after 10 pts.

As many of you may know, Mayor Giuliani's so-called "Quality of Life Campaign" has meant nothing but the increased exploitation and criminalization of poor people of color and immigrants in this city and the creation of a police state. The largely immigrant drivers in the taxi industry have been targeted by Giuliani for some time now so that the TLC can rake up $2.0 million per month for the city collecting fines from drivers who work 12 hour shifts, six days a week, without even basic health benefits. Increased fines and more repressive policies means increased labor exploitation under the leasing system, increased harrassment by police, and more loss of income by drivers to fight biased courts and judges.

Our organization, New York Taxi Workers' Alliance recently incorporated as an independent mass-based organization after leaving the Committee Against Anti-Asian Violence (CAAAV) where it was known as LDC. Our general membership is almost 800 drivers with an organizing committee of 20 driver and non-driver members. Our membership is mostly made up of drivers of South Asian descent (Pakistani, Bangladeshi) but also Haitian, Latino, and West African driver brothers and sisters. The industry itself is predominantly South Asian with about 14,000 desi drivers out of 24,000 total.

NYTWA ASKS FOR URGENT ASSISTANCE FROM FOIL COMRADES:

- FOR NYC FOILers:

We need as many hands as possible to help prepare for this exciting and massive task of mobilizing 24,000 driver brothers and sisters for next Wednesday. Please stop by our office today (Tuesday, 5/5) and next weekend (Sat 5/9 and Sun 5/10) to help us make flyers, posters, and mail to our membership. Please call me at (718) 722-3100 ext. 2404 if you can come any of these days. We need all the people we can get!! Our office is at the Brecht Forum (122 W. 27 Street).

- FOR non-NYC FOILers:

Please help us to raise the funds we need to make this strike and the long term fight a success. We are extremely short on funds and do not even have a part time staff person at this point! We will post our budget tommorow to show the monies needed to organize this strike. Please spread the word and ask people to make checks to:

Bhairavi Desai

c/o the Brecht Forum

New York Taxi Workers Alliance

122 West 27 Street, 10th floor

New York, NY 10001-6281

PLEASE HELP US TO MAKE NEXT WEDNESDAY'S STRIKE AND THE FIGHT FOR JUSTICE AND DIGNITY FOR TAXI DRIVERS A SUCCESS!

Louis Proyect