Clinton the "Phantom Liberal", or, the utility of surveys

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 15 07:56:55 PDT 1998

William S. Lear wrote:

>The results were a strong reminder of a terra firma of
>leftish belief among the US citizenry, despite the droning of
>corporate propaganda and all variety of sleaze and distraction.

As far as I can tell, there hasn't been any coverage of the Australian wharfies strike in the U.S. corporate media. This continues a long tradition of ignoring popular rebellion abroad (though the NY Times did a heart-rending story on how hard it was to get fresh baguettes during the 1996 French uprisings). Hell, in the U.S. coal strike in the late 1980s, the media didn't cover the occupation of a Pittson facility, the first plant takeover by strikers in this country since the 1930s. Apparently our leading editors and producers must fear that terra firma of leftish belief; their studied silence on these matters is evidence they do.

Doug