taxi! taxi!

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri May 15 08:15:53 PDT 1998

>He
>will, of course, and the better sorts will applaud him, and quite a few of
>the less-than-better sorts too. The public taste for authoritarianism, at
>least in Rudy's New York, is a scary thing.
>
>Doug

One other thing about all this is the naked racism directed at cabdrivers from various TV and radio personalities. It seems that none of them can resist a cheap laugh at the cabbies. I just coomplained to the alt.fan.don-imus newsgroup about his constant remarks about "dotheads", "towelheads" and purported body odor of cabdrivers. One of the reasons I don't watch Letterman anymore is that I was sick and tired of the racist jokes about cabbies in his nightly monologues. My dream of NYC is one in which the cabbies, Pueblano dishwashers, Chinese sweatshop workers, African-American subway workers, et al take to the streets and put the fear of god into all the idiotic Seinfeld fans.

Louis Proyect