Indonesia

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri May 15 08:41:17 PDT 1998

Does anyone (Doug?) have any information of what is actually going on in Indonesia. The official transmission belts (aka media) are notoriously unreliable, and they focus thier coverage along the lines of "angry mob looting the sacred cow of capitalism - private property." I think it was Noam Chomsky who graphically demonstrated the media bias on Indonesia reporting by actually measuring the volume of the Mossad Information Agency (aka New York Times) coverage and juxtaposing it with their coverage of the alleged "communist attrocities."

Well, the volume went up recently - it is definitely louder, but not much better.

The only thing that caught my attention was an McNeil/Lehrer interview with a woman who apparently had some local NGO connections -- and what she was allowed to say was that there is a whole set of NGOs in Indonesia ready to form an alternative gov't. Does anyone have any reliable information about that? If what that woman said is true, they must be broadcasting some info via net to the world.

Did our friends in OZ or NZ hear anything? It's their hood.

Regards,

Wojtek Sokolowski