Frank Sinatra

Jon Fine jonfine at earthlink.net
Fri May 15 06:39:31 PDT 1998

>A few more notes on the Chairman of
>the Board.
>
>His role as a racial pioneer should be
>emphasized. Including Sammy Davis Jr
>in the "Rat Pack" had important cultural
>implications. If the chatter on his
>albums is at all symptomatic, he had a
>keen appreciation of the roots of his
>music and its state-of-the-art
>practitioners.

I've got a CD ("Celebrities Most Embarrassing Moments") that's got a snippet of Frank and Dean Martin crudely heckling Sammy Davis Jr. from the sidelines of a Rat Pack show, which comes off as chatter symptomatic of something entirely different. You know, the guy could sing and everything, but let's not get carried away with the revisionism: it's useful to recall what modern-day Frank would think of the ideas espoused on this list

Jon Fine (who also grew up in New Jersey)