God and the N-word

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Sat May 16 14:31:45 PDT 1998

Well, actually, I was wrong, if it's Maimonides it's not the Talmud; Maimonides was an early medevial (sp?) writer, and his texts are not _as_ central as the Talmud.

There is some other, more interesting translational hanky-panky with the Bible. The Jesus story comes immediately to mind. In the original, Mary, (mother of jesus) was a "young girl." It got translated as "virgin." This mistranslating has had some... far-reaching effects. It's kind of amazing, actually. A hegemonic theological structure built around a single mistranslated word.

Yours, Frances Bolton