Broadcasting (was: The New Zealand economy)

Bill Rosenberg w.rosenberg at cantva.canterbury.ac.nz
Sat May 16 22:09:34 PDT 1998

Trond Andresen wrote:

> One dangerous factor is the management that the state appoints to
> run psbs institutions: Such management today are typically
> neoliberal henchmen of the state. They loyally execute cutbacks,
> and they try to make the psbs compete with the commercials *on
> commercial premises* - thus undermining the two potent triumph
> cards the psbs have at the outset: CREDIBILITY and public LOYALTY.
> Which then is being undermined not because of
> mouthpiece-for-the-state tendencies, but because of programming
> choices, style, sponsorship etc. which makes the psbs less
> distinguishable from the commercials, so that in the next round
> the public -very much helped by conservative politicians, the
> tabloid press and the commercial channels - asks: Why should
> tax-payers fund this channel which for all practical purposes is
> turning commercial ?

Precisely what has happened in New Zealand. I suspect that this is a deliberate strategy. Rather than openly destroy a public utility, it is transformed into a state-owned commercial one displaying the worst characteristics of both. It has been done here with services from hospitals to electricity - including broadcasting.

Bill Bill Rosenberg, w.rosenberg at csc.canterbury.ac.nz. Ph 64 3 3642801. Fax 64 3 3642332. Room 211, Ext 6801