"The Big One"

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun May 17 13:14:13 PDT 1998

> gigantic ratings. If we had an example of a show with good ratings being taken
> off, there might be a case of censorship, but I can't think of an example.

The Smothers Brothers got thrown off the air because of their antiwar politics. They were a top rated show. TV Nation was not promoted by Rupert Murdoch--that's part of the problem. The other part of the problem is that lots of top-quality shows get dumped because ratings come first. The shit that is television broadcasting is one of the genuine evils of capitalism. Not only are Fox, NBC, CBS, ABC pure junk, PBS follows close behind. Cable is almost as bad. We are dealing with the decay of a civilization on its last legs. What else can you say about such garbage as the nightly situation comedies with the god-awful laugh tracks. And it is the same megacorporations that are also turning book publishing into a swamp. Caps City, Disney, Westinghouse, Turner, Time-Warner, Murdoch, etc. They should all be put up against the wall.

Louis P..