Boudy counts, was: populism vs. Marxism, in turn was: Frank Sinatra

Mon May 18 12:52:03 PDT 1998

>the body count argument is generally bogus. Compare the "body count" of
>supposedly totalitarian Gomulka and Castro to Pinochet, Suharto, and the
>various thugs of Guatemala. The real distinction is the attitude of the
>regime toward American investment. As for Stalin, were the Gulags and
>wars against the Kulaks qualitatively worse than slavery or the Indian
>wars?

I don't have a dog in this fight. I have friends whose ancestors wound up in the GULAG. I have friends whose ancestors were gassed by the Nazis. I have ancestors (admittedly only one or two out of 512 in that generation) who survived the Middle Passage). And I have other ancestors who owned slaves (including some who owned slaves in *Maine*, which is... unusual).

Some of us hope for a governmental system that gives us better choices than one between I. V. Stalin and J. C. Calhoun. That some things are *very* bad does not make other bad things good...

Brad DeLong