populism vs. Marxism (was RE: Frank Sinatra)

Richard Marens parvus at u.washington.edu
Mon May 18 17:29:50 PDT 1998

> Lyndon Bainehouse Nixon, kicked the carrion machine into high gear, to
> the tune of 2 million residents of Southeast Asia, assorted Americans, and
> a bumper harvest of Cubans and other Latin Americans; Reagan slaughtered
> 50,000 El Salvadorans, 30,000 Nicaraguans, maybe 50,000 Guatemalans, and
> an unknown number of Palestinians; Bush offed several thousand Panamanians
> and 100,000 Iraqis. By contrast, the Soviets murdered maybe 50,000 Eastern
> Europeans in the various post-WW II uprisings/occupations, plus tens of
> thousands of their own citizens in the various post-Stalin gulags.
>

> -- Dennis

where do you put East Timur?

Incidentally, and I'm almost afraid to ask, with all the recent access to Soviet archives, has there been an update on the estimate of Stalin's victims or conclusive evidence regarding the motives behind some of the fuzzier events, such as the famines? Or is this something destined to be disputed until the end of time?