Microsoft and Anti-Trust

Barnet Wagman wagman at enteract.com
Mon May 18 17:46:09 PDT 1998

Actually, bundled office automation software (MS Office) may not be in your interest, not that you have a choice any more.

For example, back before Microsoft took over the office automation biz, there were many word processing packages, some far better than Microsoft's offering at the time. Bundling has nothing to do with software per se - it is simply a marketing gimmick. Microsoft could easily sell the components of MS Office separately, at the same total price, without effecting it's much vaunted (but really rather trivial and ad hoc) integration.

Anti-trust action against MS is long overdue. I suspect it would have happened back in the 80s if the Democrats had been in office. (As I understand it, the Reagan adminstration virtually shut down anti-trust activity at the Justice department.)

Barnet Wagman

wagman at enteract.com

773-645-8369

2118 W. Le Moyne St., 1st floor