Michael Moore

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue May 19 12:26:17 PDT 1998

Christine wrote:
> Anyway, I sort of defend moore because I think he was just
>exaggerating in his characteristic way, and he was just trying to jolt
>'liberals' into thinking a bit more.

Not bloody likely. 'Liberals' don't and won't get jolted by Moore.

They'll stop being 'liberals' when they go beyond moral critiques of 'corporations' and start thinking of capitalism as a system that must be abolished. In this sense, Moore himself is a 'liberal.'

Moore is a 'liberal' with a sense of humor and keen eyes for the absurdity of the upper class antics, and I hope he'll continue to do interesting work that lets the audience see the rich end up satirizing themselves.

However, I must repeat that his portrayal of the working class is a problem. I would like to see workers as more than 'individualist survivors' or 'passive victims.'

Yoshie