Michael Moore

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue May 19 13:56:39 PDT 1998

Wojtek wrote:
>Would not you agree that Moore's definition of the working class is based
>on cultural stereotypes associated with blue collar behavior rather than
>the relationship to the means of production? The only difference is that
>he put a positive value on those stereotypical cultural traits, instead of
>negative values most college educated 'liberals' associate with them.

Yeah, I entirely agree with you here.

Near the beginning of _Roger & Me_, Moore gets an easy laugh by his comparison of 'blue-collar' Flint and 'yuppie' San Francisco, by showing a waitress reciting a variety of coffee drinks--espresso, cappucino, cafe mocha, blah, blah. In that scene, the waitress--who is a worker, whether Moore likes it or not--gets somehow used as a butt of a joke, identified by Moore with yuppies she serves but not with autoworkers.

Yoshie

P.S. I think I far exceeded Doug's informal post limit, so I should shut up for today.