Moore, Remy, & Fortune

Thomas Kruse tkruse at albatros.cnb.net
Thu May 21 05:02:10 PDT 1998

Doug:

>Lou, you're a Marxist and you're funny, but why has the Marxist left (at
>least in the U.S.) been so fucking drab?

I'm reminded of Bermann's reading of Marx, Goethe, etc. for the narrative modes. Marx was always high drama and tragedy, he noted; sturm und drang. On the other hand, the irony, often hilarious, in Marx is famous.

Humor is central to US political discourse -- right and less right. Not so here, where the last preseident Sanchez de Lozada, caused QUITE a stri by being publicly funny and president at the same time. Notabley, his humor was VERY gringo -- he was raised in the US; U Chicago grad. Makes me wonder: was humor always central to political discourse in the US? Or is this a new (say, post WWII) thing?

Tom

Tom Kruse / Casilla 5812 / Cochabamba, Bolivia Tel/Fax: (591-42) 48242 Email: tkruse at albatros.cnb.net