Mark Twain

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu May 21 15:12:27 PDT 1998

Louis P wrote:
>There was actually a lively controversy about this in the pages of Harper's
>Magazine a year or so ago. Jane Smiley, author of "Moo" and "A Thousand
>Acres", took the position that Uncle Tom's Cabin was a much more
>courageously antiracist novel and, in a quite contrarian manner, that it
>was better as art. I might track it down and re-post.

I don't think it useful to compare _Huck Finn_ and _Uncle Tom's Cabin_ aesthetically, but whether it was 'courageously antiracist' or not, _Uncle Tom's Cabin_ was at least used as effective propaganda by the abolitionist movement whereas _Huck Finn_ was an "antislavery" novel that came out after slavery was over.

Yoshie