The Tax that Dare Not Speak...

Richard Marens parvus at u.washington.edu
Thu May 21 16:49:15 PDT 1998

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Chris Burford wrote:

> The Tobin Tax would be, and will be, a revolutionary global reform.
> >
> At 10:38 AM 5/20/98 +0000, Hank Sims wrote:
> > What about the Tobin Tax?

Hank,

I recommend a recent Twentieth Century Fund paperback on security market "reform" of a few years ago. Many of us know that the Fund got its start with Filene (as in basement) money during the depression as a way of promoting the humanization of capitalism, so the topic is logical. Tobin (the model for Star Trek's Q?) himself contributed and ended-up having to defend his tax in a special dissent because the other vaguely liberal finance people (robert J. Shiller etc.) just couldn't swallow it. Their arguments against are remarkable for their shallowness, fear, or synchophancy (take your pick) and are worth reading just for that. The title escapes me, but I think you can find it under Schiller's name in books in print. And, it has the virtue of being written in english.