moore

Daniel Marcus Damarcus at students.wisc.edu
Fri May 22 08:32:01 PDT 1998

I used to use the Rabbit Lady sequence in Roger and Me in my teaching, but dropped it as being too treacherous (meaning dangerous in its complexity) to deal with in the time I could allot to it. It's a really complicated scene, and both the defenses and attacks made on the film as a whole here have been justified (I loved it when I saw it). I showed the scene to my video production class of Wisconsin undergrads, as an example of the uses of graphic depiction, the power of metaphor (as the residents of Flint are propelled to questions of basic survival), and the questions it raises about the manipulation and the power of subjects to speak in their own voices. The Rabbit Lady apparently liked her portrayal, as she also appeared in his follow-up Pets or Meat, but a question remains of her mental judgement, which added to my misgivings every time I screened it. (What she didn't like was that it brought the powers of the state down on her, as it provided evidence of illegal behavior!)

As one example of the different ways the scene could be read, many students were horrified at the skinning of the rabbit, while some of the kids from rural Wisconsin thought it was a great shot at urban sophisticates who are unwilling to confront the realities of food production, and who look down their noses at the hunting culture that is so strong in the Upper Midwest. Rural audiences just don't find the scene very shocking.

Moore usually responds to charges of attacking the working class by claiming his own membership in it, thus invoking the right to self-mockery, as it were. I do think that we need to give some leeway to artists in their portrayals, or we end up with the suffocating humorlessness that's been referred to by others, or a one-note attack on elites that non-leftists often find too narrow. On the other hand, yes, some of R&M (and TV Nation, which I also thought was very good overall) misfires (the Yugoslavia report, for instance, that made light of the Serbian massacres, if only indirectly). But the left has a tendency to eat its own, and I think we should recognize that the incursion of TV Nation into prime prime was a big (if temporary) step forward, and we need more Moores.

Daniel Marcus

Daniel Marcus Damarcus at students.wisc.edu Dept. of Communication Arts University of Wisconsin-Madison