Statements on Suharto Resignation

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sat May 23 13:16:38 PDT 1998

At 10:57 AM 5/23/98 -0400, Doug wrote:

The opposition movement, such as
>it is, has no leadership and no program. They seem to have fractured for
>now, now that Suharto is out of office, though not necessarily out of power.

I wonder if that is really so. My impression is that a lot of very effective networking is going on, across the islands, between religious groups, and classes, and into the army. Now perhaps that can take place without one single democratic centralist marxist organisation. A heightened level of political consciousness can be created by a network.

We shall see.

Chris Burford